We recently discoverd texas caviar, and it is now a staple in my diet. Warning: very addictive. For Noah’s mom’s birthday dinner on Saturday, I made this salad. The brown rice pasta is great because it is low glycemic & gluten free. So, you don’t have to feel bad for having seconds (or thirds..) of this fresh and tasty pasta salad.
For texas caviar:
- 2 (15.8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) cans white corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 fresh jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and minced (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 small onion, cut into small dice
- 1 pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1 or 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove of garlic, minced
Combine the above 15 ingredients in to a large bowl, let marinate while reparing pasta.
- 1 12 oz. bag of Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta
- Goat Feta and/or Avocado (if dairy-free or vegan)
Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, & combine with Texas caviar. Toss in goat’s feta now, and if using wait avocado, cut in to chunks and add just before serving. Makes a big, potluck-worthy dish… and left overs are delicious.