This is a great winter soup, that can be made with what ever root veggies you have on hand. I also like making a version of this with carrots and squash. This was also my first attempt at making spelt bread, and it turned out great! Delicious with this soup in fact. I will post the recipe for the bread soon.
- 5 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and chopped
- 4 C. unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
Bring the above ingredients to a boil; cover and simmer for 12-15 min. and let cool to room temperature.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 C. chopped almonds
Sauté above 3 ingredients in a bit of extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat until onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Puree everything in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Return puree to soup pot and whisk in:
- 1/2-1 C. rice, almond, or soy milk. (I use almond or rice)
Heat very slowly. Season with combinations of the following:
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. dried mint or 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped mint
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2-1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2-1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1/2-1 tsp. dried basil
Garnish with grated apple, toasted nuts, or chopped herbs.